Not Currently Teaching Eligibility

One of the J1 visa program requirements is for a teacher to be currently teaching. It makes sense since this is a cultural exchange program, and one of the benefits of the program is for educational and cultural enrichment.

As stated in the US Department of State's website: Exchange teachers sharpen their professional skills and participate in cross-cultural activities in schools and communities, and they return to their home school after the exchange to share their experiences and increased knowledge of the United States and the U.S. educational system.

But the good news is you may still qualify to participate in the program, if you meet the requirements below.

Applicants NOT working as a teacher at the time of application must meet ALL  qualifications below:

  • Meet the qualifications for teaching at the primary or secondary levels (K-12) in schools in his or her home country (Yes, you need to have a valid teaching license).

  • Have at least two years of full-time K-12 teaching experience within the past eight years.

  • Have completed an advanced degree (in Education or in the academic area he or she intends to teach) within 12 months of his or her application submission date for the program. 


Search for TEACHING JOBS here! - 


  1. I have been working in a private school for 16 years, yet my special son is deprived of the education he deserves to have because special curriculum to students with special needs is not offered in the school where I am working. I believe that in the US, children with special needs matters. I have realized too that the reason why I want to become a teacher is to spread love and that it must start at home. I also believe in the American dream and I want to achieve it together with my family.

  2. Hello. I am 41 years old. I am a licensed Secondary teacher in the Philippines and I have 33 units of Master of Arts in Teaching Major is Social Science. I have been an ESL teacher since 2011. Am I qualified to teach or work in USA? Thank you

  3. Hi, I am an Instructor in our University for 9 years in tertiary level, I am teaching Information Technology/Computer Science Subject. I have no PRC since our school did not required us to have it upon hiring and the minimum requirement is having a Masters Degree. Is there a possibility that I can teach in USA?

    1. please see

  4. thanks for that open opportunity thanks god bless


Join our 
mailing list.
Be in the know.
Thank you for subscribing!